This course introduces you to the Linux/UNIX “philosophy” of working. It teaches the basic concepts and the elementary functionality of Linux/UNIX systems.
After the course the students will understand the facilities of the file system, the most important file management commands and the vi editor. The students will be able to use a large selection of standard utility commands.
The strong and the weak points of Linux and UNIX systems will be covered. Details of the internal working will be explained where they are useful for the basic understanding.
Course attendees receive the following documentation:
- A student pack with copies of the presentations, lab exercises, answers to the exercises, and background information.
- A reference card with frequently used options of most Linux/UNIX commands.
- Shortly after the course the student will receive a certificate as a proof of participation.
- As with all modern systems, working with Linux/UNIX involves the use of a graphical user interface. But the real power of the system can only be unleashed with the command language as available in the “command box”. The major part of this course concentrates on this command language.
Professional computer users interested in the basic concepts, user commands and utility programs of a Linux/UNIX system.
Onderstaande voorkennis is vereist:
This is an entry level course for the use of Linux and UNIX, but it is by no means a technically superficial course. Some experience with the use of computers in general is required. If in doubt, please call our course administration and talk to one of our teaching staff.
BijzonderhedenNot covered in this course : Shell script programming, sed en awk; Please refer to our Linux/UNIX part 2 course for these topics. System administration and installation.
- Introduction: Role of the kernel. The origins of Linux/UNIX, and the stronger and weaker points of the system. Linux/UNIX versions en flavours. Graphical environment. General use of the command line. Login and logout. Keyboard conventions and online documentation.
- Communication between users: Elektronic mail and direct transfer of messages (talk, write).
- Search patterns: regular expressions.
- The vi/vim editor.
- Basic file management: Directories. File names, wildcards and file properties. Dot files. File contents. Copy, move, rename, create and delete files.
- File protections: Protect individual files and groups of files. Modify file/directory protections with the chmod command. Umask. Numerical notation.
- File system management: The term inode, mount file systems, hard en symbolic links to files. Access to devices via “device special files”. Verify disk utilization with the du command. Search files/directories with the find command.
- I/O redirection and pipe lines: Input and output of commands, redirection to/from files and pipes. Combine filter commands with pipes.
- Filter commands: Properties of important filter commands, like grep, sort, uniq, head, tail, tee, wc, nl, cmp, diff and tr.
- Process management: Possibilities of the shell and shell scripts. Shell variables. Profiles. Background and foreground processes, job control. Process-related commands, like ps and top. Properties of signals and the command kill. Priority of processes.
- Linux/UNIX and networks: Introduction of network-wide communication facilities like remote login, file transfer en remote execute. Platform-independent commands, like telnet. The secure commands of the SSH family: ssh, slogin, scp and sftp. Directory-synchronisation with the rsync command.
- * This course event is guaranteed to run.
- *A course with falls under the Summer Academy action.
Cursus: Linux / UNIX part 1 (English course)
Vul onderstaand formulier in en je ontvangt meer informatie over de incompany- en maatwerkmogelijkheden van deze cursus.
We are happy to help you. Please fill in the request form below and you will receive the requested information as soon as possible.
- De cursus Linux / UNIX deel 1
- De cursus Linux / UNIX deel 2
- De cursus Docker Fundamentals for developers and administrators (English course)
- De cursus Kubernetes Fundamentals (English course)
- De cursus Linux applicatiebeheer
- De cursus
- De cursus Linux / UNIX part 2 (English course)
- De cursus Linux systeembeheer
- De cursus Linux device drivers (English course)
- De cursus Linux performance analysis and tuning (English course)
Jouw favorieten kun je bekijken via je profiel (deze vind je in het menu bovenaan de website).Bekijk favorieten
Vul onderstaand formulier in en je ontvangt meer informatie over deze cursus.
Cursus: Linux / UNIX part 1 (English course)
Geen tijd om ons gehele aanbod aan cursussen te bekijken? Of heb je een andere vraag? Wij helpen je graag. Vul onderstaande vragen in en we nemen binnen 24 uur contact met je op.