Learn Fortran with this Fortran course. The course ‘The Fortran programming language’ covers one of the most important programming languages for numeric and scientific computing.
What is Fortran?
Fortran was developed in the 1950s by International Business Machines Corporation (IBM). The language was intended for use in scientific and technical applications. It is the most widely used numerical programming language that exists. Many important computational models are written in Fortran, including climate models, ocean models and chemistry models. In spite of their long history, many of these legacy codes are still being further developed today. That is why knowledge of Fortran is still very relevant.
What will you learn during this 3-day Fortran course?
In this cours you will learn how to program in Fortran. You’ll learn the syntax of the language and how to make use of constructs that the language offers to execute common tasks. These topics are trained with practical lab exercises under the guidance of the instructor. The course will focus on the use of modern Fortran versions like Fortran90 and Fortran95 but will also touch on topics related to older versions of the language. The course is not specific to any operating system: it is relevant for e.g. both Windows and Linux.
Are you attending this course? Then you receive the following documentation:
- A student kit containing copies of the presentation, lab exercises, and answers to the exercises.
- Shortly after the course you will receive a certificate as a proof of participation.
- After this course you you’ll be able to:
- Write modern Fortran programs on your own.
- Read and extend existing (legacy) code bases.
- Programmers that have to modify or extend legacy code in Fortran or want to modernize existing Fortran code.
- Programmers planning to write in Fortran.
- Any programmer who wants to develop into a scientific programmer and doesn’t have experience with Fortran.
Onderstaande voorkennis is vereist:
- The following prior knowledge is required:
- This course assumes basic programming skills to be present already.
- This Fortran course is a joint development of AT Computing and VORtech.
- This course is provided bij AT Computing; the knowledge institute in open source technologies. AT Computing is part of the Vijfhart Group.
- Language basics: Variables, declarations, operators, data types, arrays, operators, control constructs, flow control.
- Subprogram units: Functions, subroutines, modules, libraries.
- Compilation and syntax-checking: The compilation process, the preprocessor, include-files.
- Dynamic allocation: Allocatables, pointers.
- Derived types.
- I/O: read, write and formatted I/O.
- Arrays: Intrinsic functions, masks, slices, assumed size, assumed shape.
- Object orientation: Inheritance, type bound procedures, procedure overloading.
- Interfaces: abstract interfaces, generic interfaces, iso_c_binding.
- Performance essentials: Concurrency, memory layout and optimization.
- *Een cursus met start gegarandeerd.
- *Een cursus met valt onder de actie Summer Academy.
Cursus: The Fortran programming language
Vul onderstaand formulier in en je ontvangt meer informatie over de incompany- en maatwerkmogelijkheden van deze cursus.
Wil je meer informatie ontvangen of een vrijblijvende offerte ontvangen over deze cursus? Vul onderstaande gegevens in en wij mailen je zo spoedig mogelijk de juiste gegevens.